RP Database
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

The Other Side 101

3 posters

Go down

The Other Side 101 Empty The Other Side 101

Post  Berserker Sat Aug 10, 2013 12:57 pm

Here is most basic information about The Other Side, things commonly known by characters.

1: Money

The commonly used currencies in the Old World are copper, silver and gold coins. The exchange rates are as follows:

1 gold: 1000 silver
1 silver: 100 copper

It is so because gold mines are far more rare than silver mines, and silver, unlike gold, is rarely used to decorate other items, such as swords and shields for display purposes.

A regular, simple sword made of average quality steel costs around 200 silvers. A horse, by comparison, costs 500 silvers, and a decent, well trained slave about 1 gold.
Simple food, such as breads and apples, can often be afforded for only some copper coins, and an axe for chopping wood/heads costs 80 silvers.

2: Focus points

The Other Side is filled with magical focus points. People can often describe a strange, unsettling feeling after being near them, but they stabilise the land in a wide area around them, sending magic energy off towards nexus points. People generally consider them good things and perfectly normal.

3: Animals

Most animals you can find in our world can also be found in The Other Side, but there are also variations and entirely new creatures to be found. Most are quite harmless to humans or kept as domestic animals, but others roam the lands, refusing to be tamed and strong enough to support their freedom.

4: Climate

The world is set up around a northern and a southern continent, with a sea separating them. In the Old World, climates vary depending on how far north or south one is, much like in our world. More geographical differences visible on maps.
Berserker
Berserker
Admin

Back to top Go down

The Other Side 101 Empty Re: The Other Side 101

Post  Endless Witch Beatrice Sat Aug 10, 2013 9:20 pm

I find all this concise, reliable info extremely useful.

I personally think that topics such as these should be made for playable races, with subheadings such as "lifespan", "likely birthplaces", "social behaviours unique to this race/culture", "currency" etc. etc.

I will personally start with a Vashkin topic, covering both humans and the sea-serpent/fish varieties and some basic culture, starting it off in my workshop and likely porting it over to "Races of the setting" after.
Endless Witch Beatrice
Endless Witch Beatrice
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mizu Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:53 am

Thank you for this! I find it very useful as well. I think Raika has a good idea going with the races thing. I feel there's already plenty on Nemians, but would it be good if I did something similar?
Mizu
Mizu

Back to top Go down

Post  Endless Witch Beatrice Mon Aug 12, 2013 7:58 am

Mizu wrote:Thank you for this! I find it very useful as well. I think Raika has a good idea going with the races thing. I feel there's already plenty on Nemians, but would it be good if I did something similar?
Thank you. Absolutely, if you would feel like it. I would recommend making it something similar to this.
Endless Witch Beatrice
Endless Witch Beatrice
Admin

Back to top Go down

Post  Mizu Tue Aug 13, 2013 8:36 am

Raika wrote:Thank you. Absolutely, if you would feel like it. I would recommend making it something similar to this.
Thanks! I found this very useful.
Mizu
Mizu

Back to top Go down

Post  Sponsored content

Sponsored content

Back to top Go down